9.17.2010

Get on board the Potty Train!

99% of you reading probably couldn't care less about this particular posting - so feel free to click away to some other, more interesting website now.
Many of you who have spoken to me in the last few weeks know that I'm obsessed with potty training at the moment, and I'm bound and determined to make this work with J.  Right now. As of a week ago, he protested (read: yelled at the top of his lungs) any time I tried to put him in anything but a diaper. He wanted no part of pullups or of "big boy" underwear. I knew this was the week to do it, so we casually ran out of diapers over the weekend, and only had a few pull-ups left by the beginning of the week. On Monday, we went and picked out some new big boys for him - and even though he kept trying to take them out of our cart and put them back on the shelf, we still came home with lots of fun ones. Tuesday began the fun with Lightning McQueen! (He started off wanting to wear them all backwards, so the big characters were on the front instead of on his bum, funny)  I was thrilled that he would wear the things at ALL, but we had no successes that day. Wednesday and Thursday morning we went back to pullups because of our schedule, but starting Thursday afternoon we went cold turkey. Score was 3 successes, 2 accidents. Not too bad. Today's score was better with 4 successes, 2 accidents - and 2 of those successes were NOT AT HOME - yeah! He actually stayed dry from 3pm until bedtime. Awesome. I'm trying to keep this a positive experience for both of us. He gets a few M&Ms with every success, which is working pretty well so far. Don't judge me when you find out he's a sitter - it honestly didn't occur to me to have him stand up while he "went" - and now he absolutely won't. Oops. Wish us luck tomorrow - hopefully we'll have a #2 success soon too! He is great at telling us when he needs to go, and he's quite tired of us asking him every two seconds "Are you still dry? Do you need to go potty?"  but so far so good. I'm keeping him in Pull-ups for nighttime for now, because I have no idea how else to do it - he wakes up earlier than me and is always soaked by the time I get up. Any advice on how/when to do nighttime too?

6 comments:

Deirdre Eagar said...

all our boys "sit", unless they want to clean the toilet. He'll figure out the standing part when he's older.

Amberly said...

sitting is the only way to go. good move there. guess it's time I get beckham rolling on this potty train... when is life going to slow down enough for it to happen??

The Malone's said...

My boys stand, maybe that is why it took so long to get them to use the potty for something other than pee. But I am proud to announce that we are in underpants today. Its been fun.

Alison said...

My comment has nothing to do with potty training, well maybe it does - is that really your toilet and did you clean the base of it before taking J's picture?! :) Wait til he learns to pee standing (Lucas probably started a few months ago doing that.....) it won't be that clean anymore. Congrats to you and J for being trained!

jayme said...

Hyrum was a sitter too! Until he went potty with Papi one day while we were out and now he has to stand like Papi. I say, if mom teaches him, he's a sitter. If dad has a problem with that, he can teach him! :)

Amber said...

Clever photo ;o)